YOUTH FOR CHRIST - GENERAL OVERVIEW
The NGO Youth for Christ in Montevideo, Uruguay.
Youth for Christ is an autonomous, non-profit organization. Since it began 40 years ago, Youth for Christ has worked actively to come along side marginalized population in Uruguay through formal programs. Our action is oriented primarily toward children, adolescents, young people and their families on three levels of intervention:
- Personal (seeking holistic development)
- Within the family and community (work to strengthen families, develop local networks, and encourage participation)
- Political and structural (participate in constructing Social Policies and effective methods of intervention)
In 1989, we began to work formally with the State and formed the Civil Society Organization Youth for Christ, Uruguay. Since then we have operated collectively with State organisms, International Organisms, and a wide variety of NGOs (non-government organizations) that work in the country.
In Youth for Christ we run politically as a civil society organization. The General Assembly of partners is the sovereign body, which appoints a Board of Directors. This Board operates on an honorary basis and has a predetermined term of service.
Youth for Christ works with a clear north, challenging but possible with Jesus Christ, which we express with simplicity in our mission:
- Promote a culture in tune with the gospel and its values of justice, peace, solidarity, tolerance, love, and respect for the diversity.
- For part of the Youth for Christ International family, adhering to the shared vision and mission of the organization.