The Season of Giving is now upon us as we usher in October. It’s an opportune time to reflect on how to support and give to the causes that we care about.
Here is your monthly guide of causes and nonprofits that you and your business can support through Pledgeling as a way to commemorate some of these special dates. Our platform and tools make it easy to donate to any cause of your choice. To connect with our partnerships team about ways we might support your cause campaigns, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
National Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Recognizing October as Breast Cancer Awareness month is an annual campaign to raise awareness of the disease and support the individuals facing it. Support the fight against it and give the gift of hope.
- Boarding for Breast Cancer is dedicated to providing education, prevention and support programs for young people and the action sports community at large. Through grassroots events, year-round educational outreach, and the Survivorship Fund, B4BC is able to further its mission of promoting early detection + a healthy, active lifestyle as the best means of breast cancer prevention.
- National Breast Cancer Coalition Fund’s mission is to end breast cancer by increasing federal funding for breast cancer research, creating access to breast and cervical cancer care for underserved and uninsured women, and training advocates to play an active role wherever breast cancer decisions are made.
- National Breast Cancer Foundation (NBCF)’s mission is to save lives through early detection and to provide mammograms for those in need. Their mission includes increasing awareness through education, providing diagnostic breast care services for those in need, and providing nurturing support services.
National Domestic Violence Awareness Month
No one should have to experience an abusive relationship with someone they love but those who do need our help.
- National Coalition Against Domestic Violence aims to organize for collective power by advancing transformative work, thinking and leadership for communities and individuals working to end violence in our lives.
- National Domestic Violence Hotline creates access by providing 24-hour support through advocacy, safety planning, resources and hope to everyone affected by domestic violence.
- National Network to End Domestic Violence is a social change organization dedicated to creating a social, political, and economic environment in which violence against women no longer exists.
Healthy Lung Month
We don’t have to think about breathing unless we have trouble with it. This month is dedicated to raising awareness about the actions we can take to have healthy lungs, such as exercise, no smoking of any kind, and regular check-ups.
- Breathe California Golden Gate Public Health Partnership fights lung disease, advocates for clean air, and advances public health through grassroots education, advocacy, and direct services.
World Animal Day (October 4)
World Animal Day is an international day of action for animal rights and welfare. At Pledgeling, we are a team of animal lovers. Join us in caring for them by supporting one of the following initiatives!
- Hallmark x American Humane Adoption Ever After is Hallmark Channel’s signature pro-social initiative dedicated to emptying pet shelters forever. Proceeds raised will currently benefit the work of American Humane, which rescues, shelters, feeds, and improves the lives of some one billion animals around the world each year.
- Humane Society of the United States seeks a humane and sustainable world for all animals; a world that will also benefit people. They are America's mainstream force against cruelty, exploitation, and neglect, and also the nation's most trusted voice extolling the human-animal bond. Their mission statement is ‘Celebrating Animals, Confronting Cruelty’.
- Project C.A.T. (Conserving Acres for Tigers) x World Wildlife Fund - There are less than 4,000 wild tigers on our planet today. Discovery partnered with the World Wildlife Fund to double the number of tigers in the wild by 2022. This collaboration aims to ensure a healthy habitat for future generations of tigers by helping to conserve nearly six million acres of protected land across four countries. We are honored to power donations for this partnership through our easily embeddable donation forms, text to donate, and Evite donations.
- Sea Turtle Conservancy ensures the survival of sea turtles within the Caribbean, Atlantic, and Pacific through research, education, training, advocacy, and protection of the natural habitats on which they depend.
World Teachers Day (October 5)
Join us in supporting education, especially Educators for rising to the challenge of transitioning to online teaching this year.
- Donors Choose is the leading platform for giving to public schools. Teachers across America use the site to create projects requesting resources their students need and donors give to the projects that inspire them. Since 2000, more than 3.4 million people and partners have given $739 million to projects reaching 30 million students.
- Teach for America exists to address the problem of the opportunity gap. Their mission is to eliminate educational inequity by enlisting the nation's most promising future leaders in the effort. They serve as a critical source of talented and committed teachers called corps members who compensate for the challenges their students face and provide them with the educational opportunities they deserve.
- UNICEF Education Cannot Wait is the first global fund dedicated to education in emergencies and protracted crises. 1.5 billion kids are out of school due to pandemic closures. Help get the most vulnerable kids in school and learning.
World Mental Health Day (October 10)
This day is dedicated to ensure we think about our mental health as important as our physical well-being and dismantle any stigma. Your mental health is important!
- Active Minds empowers college students to speak openly about mental health in order to educate others and encourage help-seeking. They are changing the culture on campuses and in the community by providing information, leadership opportunities and advocacy training to the next generation.
- Project Semicolon is dedicated to the prevention of suicide. Their work is based on the foundation and belief that suicide is preventable and everyone has a role to play in preventing suicide. Through raising public awareness, educating communities, and equipping every person with the right tools, they are determined to save lives.
National Coming Out Day (October 11)
This day is about celebrating everyone’s most authentic self. It can be difficult for some, especially young people. To help provide support, please donate to some of these initiatives.
- It Gets Better Project aims to communicate to lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) youth around the world that it gets better, and to create and inspire the changes needed to make it better for them.
- The Trevor Project is the leading national organization focused on crisis and suicide prevention efforts among lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning youth. Every day, The Trevor Project saves young lives through its free and confidential Lifeline, in-school workshops, educational materials, online resources and advocacy.
International Day of the Girl (October 11)
The United Nations declared October 11 the International Day of the Girl to raise awareness around the unique challenges girls face around the world. May we empower the more than 1.1 billion girls under 18 around the world who will be our future leaders in all areas.
- Free a Girl is a relief organization that is committed to rescuing young girls from forced prostitution and convicting the offenders. Free a Girl believes that children and young people have the right to grow up in a safe environment and to be protected at all times from all forms of commercial sexual exploitation.
- Girls Inc. inspires all girls to be strong, smart, and bold through direct service and advocacy. A combination of long-lasting mentoring relationships, a safe pro-girl environment, and research-based programming equips girls to lead healthy and productive lives, break the cycle of poverty, and become role models in their communities.
World Food Day (October 16)
World Food Day is dedicated to the founding of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Please support the following initiatives to ensure everyone can have equal accessibility to the food they need.
- Discovery x No Kid Hungry Discovery is committed to ending childhood hunger. In partnership with No Kid Hungry, Discovery will help provide up to one billion meals to kids facing hunger over the next five years. To reach this goal, Discovery is launching Turn Up: Fight Hunger, a movement that will reach audiences across the country through their beloved brands like Food Network, HGTV, TLC, Investigation Discovery and more.
- Feeding America aims to feed America's hungry through a nationwide network of member food banks and engage our country in the fight to end hunger. Feeding America distributes food and grocery products through a nationwide certified member network, increases public awareness of domestic hunger, and advocates for public policies that benefit America's hungry.
- World Food Program USA is the food assistance branch of the United Nations and the world's largest humanitarian organization addressing hunger and promoting food security.
International Day for the Eradication of Poverty (October 17)
The United Nations declared October 17 International Day for the Eradication of Poverty almost thirty years ago to address this problem, yet there is so much work to be done to alleviate the poverty millions of people experience around the world. Consider supporting the following nonprofits as a good place to start.
- GiveDirectly reduce poverty by providing financial assistance directly to those in need. We aim to do so efficiently, making the most of every dollar; transparently, with a clear commitment to how each dollar is used; and respectfully, letting people choose how to help themselves.
- Kiva connects people through lending to alleviate poverty. Leveraging the internet and a worldwide network of microfinance institutions, Kiva allows individuals to lend as little as $25 to help create opportunities around the world.
- Mercy Corps is a global team of humanitarians working together on the front lines of crisis, disaster, poverty and climate change to create a world where everyone can prosper. Beyond delivering aid to meet urgent needs, they develop long-term solutions to make lasting change possible.
- One Day’s Wages is a grassroots movement of people, stories, and actions to alleviate extreme global poverty. ODW promotes awareness, invites simple giving, and supports sustainable development with partner organizations throughout the developing world.
- Village Enterprise Fund aims to end extreme poverty in rural Africa through entrepreneurship and innovation.
National Health Education Week (October 19-23)
The Society for Public Health Education commemorates this week to increase national awareness on major public health issues and promote a better understanding of health education.
- American Heart Association aims to build healthier lives, free of cardiovascular diseases and stroke. They’re the nation’s leader in CPR education training, help people understand the importance of healthy lifestyle choices, and provide science-based treatment guidelines to healthcare professionals to help ensure the best treatment for every patient, every time. They educate lawmakers, policy makers, and the public as they advocate for changes to protect and improve the health of all communities.
- Diabetes Youth Families improve the quality of life for children, teens and families affected by diabetes. The organization provides education and recreation within a supportive community, encouraging personal growth, knowledge and independence.
United Nations Day (October 24)
This day celebrates the anniversary of the United Nations’ founding. Years later, the United Nations’ mission remains the same: to maintain international peace and security.
- UNICEF: Education Cannot Wait is a new global fund to transform the delivery of education in emergencies - one that joins up governments, humanitarian actors, and development efforts to deliver a more collaborative and rapid response to the educational needs of children and youth affected by crises. The fund aims to reach all crisis-affected children and youth with safe, free and quality education by 2030.
- UNICEF USA works in more than 190 countries and territories to put children first. UNICEF has helped save more children’s lives than any other humanitarian organization, by providing health care and immunizations, safe water and sanitation, nutrition, education, emergency relief and more.
Red Ribbon Week (October 21-31)
Red Ribbon Week is an alcohol, tobacco, and other drug and violence prevention awareness campaign observed annually in October in the United States.
- D.A.R.E. America teach students, kindergarten through 12th grade, good decision-making skills to help them lead safe and healthy lives. Their vision is a world in which students everywhere are empowered to respect others and choose to lead lives free from violence, substance abuse, and other dangerous behaviors.
Lastly, we want to continue recognizing how Racial Justice and COVID-19 remain important causes to support:
- For a more comprehensive list of 20+ organizations fighting for racial and social justice, please visit this link.
- For a more comprehensive list of 20+ organizations fighting against COVID-19, please visit our Causes to Support in June 2020 Blog Post and our COVID-19 Relief Efforts Blog Post.
Thank you for being part of the #PledgeToDoGood!